Marshall hails his Albion cup heroes

NAWN 110427 Tadcaster V Farsley. 110427AMy
NAWN 110427 Tadcaster V Farsley. 110427AMy

TADCASTER Albion boss Paul Marshall couldn’t hide his delight on Wednesday night after guiding his side to a famous 5-1 win over Farsley in the final of the President’s Cup.

The magnificent achievement came one year to the day after The Brewers secured promotion to the NCEL top flight, and writes a new chapter in the history of the club.

“It’s another cup, a cup every season I would be a happy man,” said Marshall.

“Everyone is delighted. It’s just a great night in the history of Tadcaster Albion and we deserved it.

“I often mark players after a game and I think you can give each of them a minimum of 8/10, they were fantastic out there tonight.”

An emotional Kevin Derry who has tasted the highs and the lows during his time at The Park hopes the good times are here to stay.

“Just what can you say?” he said.

“Full credit to the lads, they’ve had an unbelievable season. To finish where we are in the league and to win a cup is just brilliant.”

Albion have one more league fixture to get their teeth into tomorrow at home to Dinnington before a well earned rest.

But Marshall doesn’t want his troops to stop just yet.

“We want to win that one,” he added.

“If we win on Saturday then we will finish fourth which will make it an excellent season.”

Taddy went into their Farsley final on the back of Saturday’s 3-1 win over Arnold. Stuart Rice (19), Carl Stewart (76) and Graeme Whitehead (79) scoring.

Then on Wednesday they completely dominated from start to finish against the newly crowned league champions.

First half goals by Stewart (10) and Rice (15) calmed any nerves on the terraces.

Farsley predictably came back into the contest before the break.

But a wonderful double save by Taddy ‘keeper Arran Reid kept the visitors at bay.

After emerging from the tunnel looking confident Albion started the second half where they’d left off the first.

Marshall’s men were in white hot mood moving the ball around better than their poor opponents.

Ryan Qualter made it 3-0 slamming home from a tight angle on 55 minutes before Ryan Serrant pulled one back for Farsley.

Just as the away side looked to be stepping up a gear they were reduced to ten men when ‘keeper Tom Morgan was sent off for a deliberate hand ball outside the box.

From then on there was only going to be one winner.

Whitehead made it 4-1 with a bullet header on 80 minutes before the excellent Terry Taylor put the icing on the cake with a well taken fifth.

The final whistle brought to an end a superb night for Albion in front of their home supporters.

“It was a year to the day that we won here to get promoted,” said Marshall immediately after the game.

“We’re all over the moon. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Marshall is now hoping to get through tomorrow’s final fling unscathed before a fresh attack on the division next year.

If he keeps his current crop of players together they could be the side to watch in 2011/12.

For a round up on Albion’s first NCEL Premier season see next week’s Wetherby News.