Tadcaster Albion dumped out of FA Vase by Sunderland RCA

Tadcaster Albion's Gregg Anderson holds off Sunderland's hat-trick hero Colin Larkin (Photo: Ian Parker)
Tadcaster Albion's Gregg Anderson holds off Sunderland's hat-trick hero Colin Larkin (Photo: Ian Parker)

Tadcaster Albion’s road to Wembley came to an early end as former Harrogate Town striker Colin Larkin netted a sublime hat-trick on Tuesday.

The Brewers crashed out of the FA Vase in the third round at the hands of Northern League side Sunderland RCA.

Larkin broke the deadlock with a splendid first-half opener before adding a quick fire double after the break, including a controversial penalty.

Albion toiled in the torrential conditions and any hopes of a miraculous comeback were ended through Michael Charlton’s late strike.

Miller said: “They rattled us from the first minute and we never recovered.

“They had a good game plan and it worked really well in the conditions.

“I won’t say we weren’t up for it because we were buzzing beforehand, but it just didn’t happen for us on the night.”

The original meeting between the two teams had been postponed on Saturday with Albion already on the motorway north.

After passing an afternoon pitch inspection, Tuesday’s encounter began in hurried style with the hosts starting brighter.

A cute first-time flick from Colin Larkin set Stephen Callen in behind Taddy’s defence and he somehow squeezed a cross past Gary Stevens and Gregg Anderson had to head over the bar.

Tadcaster responded with their first sight of goal but Jimmy Beadle hooked over the crossbar.

The Brewers carved out another half decent chance four minutes later as Dan Clayton’s lofted free-kick was headed over by Anderson.

But RCA grew into the ascendancy as the half went on and they deservedly opened the scoring on 18 minutes.

Tad midfielder Liam Ormsby’s surging was broken up and after the clearance came to a halt by striking referee Lucy Oliver’s body. Reece Nobel found Larkin in an inside left position. The former Northampton Town striker cut back inside and fired into the far corner from just inside the penalty area.

The Brewers struggled to cause Sunderland any real problems going forward as chances came few and far between in the fog.

Sunderland RCA were in control of the tie and if it wasn’t for Stevens in the Tadcaster goal it could have been more.

The goalkeeper made saves to deny Larkin and Kevin Gordon before he producing a superb double save to deny Gordon again and Callen’s follow-up.

The Brewers had the chance to regroup at the break but they got off to the worst possible start when Larkin received the ball on the edge of the box in space and fired into the bottom corner with his weaker left foot.

Trailing 2-0, it was absolutely essential that Taddy got the next goal and they had a good chance to get back in the tie from the unlikely source of Matt Heath. Josh Greening reversed a ball into the danger area where Heath waited however the defender wasn’t able to generate enough power in his shot.

Seven minutes later, Sunderland were given a golden opportunity to all but seal their place in the last 64.

Charlton went down softly close to the attentions of Anderson and the resultant penalty was dispatched calmly by Larkin.

RCA thoroughly deserved their lead and Callen came close to making it four after half volleying over the target. 

Jason Mycoe flashed a speculative volley straight at the Sunderland stopper as Albion attempted to restore pride into the scoreline.

But Sunderland RCA put a gloss on their deserved win as Charlton found the net from six yards out to add a fourth.