NCEL: Knaresborough Town overcome Worsborough Bridge Athletic test

Jim Bradley shadows a Worsborough Bridge Athletic player on Tuesday night (Photo: Craig Dinsdale)
Jim Bradley shadows a Worsborough Bridge Athletic player on Tuesday night (Photo: Craig Dinsdale)

Knaresborough Town took their winning run to three matches after battling pasta determined home side to pick up all three points at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic on Tuesday night.

An own goal in the 69th minutes handed Knaresborough victory against a side with only 14 points to their name from their opening 19 matches in the Northern Counties East League Division One.

Ben Clayton had earlier put Town ahead 17 miutes into the match with a low strike but Worsborough restored parity seven minutes after the break through Nick Galloway.

The early pressure all came from Knaresborough as they took the advantage of the wind in the first half and Gary Collier headed over.

Blaine Hobson’s shot was then tipped over the bar by Christian Bark before a looping Clayton header hit the top of the bar.

Scott Whittington broke away from the ‘Boro’ defence, but rushed his shot wide of goal and the normal pattern was resumed when Jonty Maullin’s header went over.

Fraser Lancaster wins a header (Photo: Craig Dinsdale)

Fraser Lancaster wins a header (Photo: Craig Dinsdale)

The opening goal, which was richly deserved, arrived in the 17th minute when Clayton hit home a low shot from the edge of the penalty area which slid under Bark’s diving body.

Bark then save from Collier before Ryan Poskitt fired over in a Worsbrough counter.

The play was soon back in the home half and Hobson turned well only to fire wide and then Joel Freeston ended the half when his headed effort was saved following Collier’s fine centre.

The half time team talk looked to have done the trick as in the early minutes of the second half the ball was kept on ground level in a build up to Dan McDaid crossing for Clayton to head wide of the near post.

This was followed by a McDaid corner from the opposite wing which struck the top of the crossbar and bounced to safety.

The lack of a second goal cushion looked to have been costly as Worsbrough, always dangerous from corners and throw ins, won a corner on the left and this was headed home by Gallaway in the 52nd minute.

Jack Rushworth saved low to his left and the home pressure continued as Poskitt shot against the bar and had a free kick saved and efforts from Jack Portman and Tom Peace were also too high as Worsbrough now benefitted from the wind advantage.

Knaresborough did settle and moved the ball along the right to Collier whose low centre was turned into his own goal by centre back, Kyle Spooner, in the 69th minute.

The remaining play was more even but became rather fractious as frustrations rose in the home ranks resulting in a late dismissal as Andy Dawson received a second yellow despite being amongst the better performers for the home side on an evening which made football very difficult.