Knaresborough Town urged to keep concentration

Knaresborough Town must avoid complacency when whipping boys Louth Town visit Manse Lane on Saturday, according to club spokesman Ian Pickles.

Boro’ are riding the crest of a wave with only one defeat in 12 games and lie eighth in the table.

And Brian Davey’s men hit top form on Saturday as they fought off a strong Worsbrough Bridge Athletic side 3-2.

In contrast, Louth have lost their last 11 matches and only recorded nine points at the foot of Northern Counties East League Division One.

“That’s just the side you don’t want to be playing,” said Pickles.

“Hopefully we won’t take them with too much complacency.

“It always worries me when you get a side that has had a run of successive defeats.

“Our lads have an uncanny nack of taking things a bit complacent. They will need to be on their game.”

The Reds headed to Worsbrough without influential captain Liam Gray (away) and the suspended Dave Thomas.

Boss Davey had hoped Gainsborough Trinity winger Dan Clayton would be available but his parent club arranged a last-minute friendly and required his services.

Town could call on Clayton’s brother Ben, and the defender put the visitors ahead from an eighth-minute corner, slamming home Will Lenehan’s knockdown.

Boro’ were well on top throughout the opening period and Josh Garbutt hit wide before Colin Heath had a fine shot tipped over.

Heath then lashed in his 12th goal of the season after half-time to put ‘Boro two up.

Athletic hit back to equalise with two goals in as many minutes.

But Boro’s heads remained high and Blaine Hobson fired in a late winner after Jim Bradley’s shot was parried by home stopper Jared Oxley.

Pickles added: “At 2-2, with 12 minutes to play there was only one side that was going to win it.

“We surprised ourselves that we played so well for the first half.

“The players didn’t allow their two goals to affect them at all.

“They went back and created a really good move to win it.

“It was a very good performance and all the players were chuffed. Paul Stansfield (Town’s assistant manager) summed it up. He was ecstatic coming off the pitch.

“There was a gap developing in the league’s top eight but we have managed to stay with them. The teams at the top are continuing to compete and we need to keep up with them.

“The way that we are playing at the moment, everyone is confident.”

Heath’s strike put him ninth on the league’s scoring tables, and Pickles said the striker had taken up the mantle from former strikers Steve Bromley and Craig Heard.

“He’s had a great run. Long may it continue,” Pickles added.

Meanwhile, Knaresborough reserves progressed to the third round of the West Yorkshire League Challenge Cup with a 5-3 extra time victory over Featherstone Colliery at Manse Lane.

Knaresborough were given the ideal start when Byron Littlefair opened the scoring in the second minute, but Colliery’s frontman James Dunn levelled in the 15th minute.

A fine James McGonagle goal, his first for the club, put Boro’ back in charge two minutes before half time.

Dunn struck twice more to put Featherstone ahead but Littlefair hit his second to take the game to an extra 30 minute.

Littlefair then notched up his hat-trick and a further strike from James Watson saw Knaresborough through.

The reserves travel to Altofts in the West Yorkshire League Division One on Saturday (2pm).