Lacy leaves Ings hotseat after three-year reign

Wetherby coach Eugene Lacy. (S)
Wetherby coach Eugene Lacy. (S)

WETHERBY Athletic will be led by a new manager next season after the departure of Eugene Lacy.

The former Liversedge gaffer’s last game in charge came on Saturday when they were beaten 6-1 by Whitkirk.

Lacy announced his decision to step down in February via an email to club chairman Mike Robinson.

But after a run of four wins in five, he changed his mind and offered to stay on next season.

However, the club had already asked a successor to take over his position according to Lacy.

“I won’t be going to the last game at Fields,” said Lacy.

“I did say I was going to quit a few months ago. It was a struggle to get players every week which was really frustrating.

“It’s all very well when you’re up there at the top of the league. But when you’re down there then it’s much more difficult to get a side out.”

Speaking to the Wetherby News this week, Ings chairman Robinson, said Atheltics won’t name Lacy’s successor until the end of the season.

However, he did thank Lacy for a successful three year spell at the club.

He added: “As chairman of Wetherby Athletic I would like to wish Eugene all the best for the future and thank him for all his hard work over the last three years.”

In Lacy’s first season, the club were just pipped at the post despite looking odds on earlier in the season to gain promotion.

Then in his second year they finished second in Division One to climb back up into the top flight.

They also had a strong run in the Barkston Ash Cup before being beaten by Bardsey in a well contested final.

Lacy’s side struggled for consistency early on this campaign.

But victories over Beeston, East End Park, Otley Town and Pool all but confirmed their safety.

“If I’m being brutally honest I thought we’d go up in our first year, at the standard we were playing and the players I had at my disposal,” continued Lacy.

“But I was surprised how hard it was. My second year we got to the District Cup final against Bardsey and should have won it.

“It was just a shame this year we were struggling for players sometimes.

“It showed when we went on that run and we got our best players together then we could beat anyone. We just couldn’t get them available every week.”

Elsewhere, SHERBURN WHITE ROSE gaffer, Wayne Day, is hoping his side’s time in the top flight doesn’t come to an end this season.

Sherburn finished in the bottom two, which normally would result in relegation.

But with teams dropping out of the Evo-Stik League, and Knaresborough Town looking to join the NCEL First Division, they could well be spared.

“We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can hold on by the skin of our teeth,” said Day.

Sherburn finished their season with a must-win against title chasing Beeston on Saturday.

They pushed their rivals all the way and played out of their skins according to their gaffer but eventually lost 2-1.

After going a goal down, Jamie Middleton levelled proceedings. But with Sherburn chasing the winner their opponents hit them with the sucker punch to claim all three points.

Stay up to date with Sherburn’s future in the top flight with the Wetherby News.