FA Cup: Harrogate Town beat Hyde 1-0 to set up Torquay trip

hsb  Dave Merris playing for Harrogate Town against Oxford City.  (120915M4b)
hsb Dave Merris playing for Harrogate Town against Oxford City. (120915M4b)

Harrogate Town will travel to the English Riviera on Saturday after reaching the first round proper of the FA Cup on Tuesday night.

Dan Clayton was the extra-time hero as Town beat Hyde FC 1-0 at Station View.

Town’s prize for coming through 120 minutes of play at Harrogate Railway’s ground is a Saturday trip to play League Two Torquay United - the side that knocked Town out on penalties at the same stage of the competition back in 2005.

The third attempt at the fourth qualifying round replay took place at a sodden Station View, Railway extending the hand of kindness following Tuesday’s failed pitch inspection at Wetherby Road.

The first scheduled replay was also postponed, again due to Town’s pitch, over a week ago.

But Wednesday’s match wasn’t without incident; Hyde arrived late in Starbeck after their bus was stuck in traffic, meaning the kickoff was delayed by 15 minutes.

Substitute Clayton’s stunning winner came seven minutes from the end of the second period of extra-time.

The shot went high then dipped quickly past hapless ‘keeper David Carnell to send the Town fans wild.

Town were well worth their win, pushing Hyde all the way and at times looking the better drilled and fitter side.

The visitors had the best of the first half chances, Town having to act fast to deal with the probing shots of Liam Tomsett.

Adam Bolder drilled in a late shot one minute before the break, but it was saved low by visiting ‘keeper David Carnell.

Both sides came out in determined mood after the break.

A neat move saw Adam Bolder play in Paul Beesley, whose chipped shot hit the back of the net, but he was ruled offside.

As the half wore on, Town began to tire and were forced to soak up Hyde pressure.

Manager Simon Weaver replaced Chib Chilaka with Clayton, and the fresh legs gave Town some breathing space.

Home ‘keeper Craig MacGillivray was soon tested with a series of Hyde shots, led by the impressive Philip Jevons.

With extra-time looming, the game opened up.

As the game stretched, Town substitute Tom Platt and then Luke Dean had excellent efforts saved as they looked to avoid the looming extra-time.

Play was now end-to-end, with both keepers at full strength to keep their side in the cup.

Jevons was one-on-one with MacGillivray, and home wans were stunned when the in-form ‘keeper kept him out, seconds before regulation time ran out.

Town looked the fresher side in the first period of extra-time, Beesley and Danny Forrest going close.

Weaver replaced Beesley with Jonny Allen, and Town drove forward against a tired-looking Hyde.

Hyde grew into the half, with the dangerous Jevons flashing a number of chances just wide.

As the first period of extra-time came to a close, still neither side could find a breakthrough.

Bold Town again came out of the blocks faster for the second period, and an early corner was forced away by Hyde.

More pressure followed, until Clayton popped up to grab the winner and send Town through.

Their prize is an extremely long trip to Torquay United, and there is a score to settle with the Gulls.

Under Neil Aspin in 2005, Town drew 1-1 at Plainmoor before bringing Torquay back to Wetherby Road.

The replay ended 0-0 before Torquay won 6-5 on penalties.