‘Bridge maintain 100 per cent start to season

NADV 1204115 Boroughbridge V Bardsey. Boroughbridge's Jimmy Tucknott.  (1204115AM7)
NADV 1204115 Boroughbridge V Bardsey. Boroughbridge's Jimmy Tucknott. (1204115AM7)

Boroughbridge AFC were made to sweat last night at Leeds City as they did their best to throw away a three goal lead, but held on to win 4-3.

In the end held off a spirited fightback from the home side to run out four three winners. Having never beaten their opponents in the last nine meetings it was always going to be a tough fixture for Daz Ekin’s men, but they started the match brightly and were unlucky to have a tenth minute Ben Jones effort ruled offside.

Matt Thompson made ammends just six minutes later, however, in firing ‘Bridge into a one nil lead. The City response was inevitable, and came on the half hour mark as they levelled things up, but ‘Bridge showed their tenacity and were back ahead three minutes later with Thompson again the scorer.

There were appeals for a third a minute into first half stoppage time when Liam Healy turned home a Dan McDaid free kick, but the goal was correctly disallowed for offside. The third was not far around the corner, however, and came six minutes into the second half when Baz O’Neill headed home a Ben Jones cross, and the provider turned scorer three minutes later to fire home the fourth, much to the delight of a jubilant ‘Bridge bench. It was here, however, that the City engine roared into life, with the home side straight on the attack. Shortly after ‘keeper Liam Corbett was forced into an excellent save on the hour mark City were awarded a penalty, which was converted, following a foul by Jimmy Tucknott.

Ten minutes later and they were back within one as the ‘Bridge defence parted and Corbett was given no chance with the ball curling at pace into his top left-hand corner. This began a nervy last 20 minutes for the travelling ‘Bridge contingent, but Corbett was on top form and put in an exemplary performance to keep the hosts at bay. The result leaves ‘Bridge lying third in the West Yorkshire Premier as one of only three teams with a 100 per cent record after two matches.

Elsewhere, Ripon City were beaten 2-1 at Wetherby.