Albion hit by Ram-raid

A number of missed chances proved costly for Tadcaster Albion as they slipped to a 1-0 home defeat to Ramsbottom United in Evo-Stik Division One North.

Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 9:12 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:35 am
Conor Sellars on the ball for Tadcaster Albion during Saturday's home defeat to Ramsbottom United. Picture: Matthew Appleby

With Brewers boss Billy Miller away, assistant manager Matt Heath took charge of the side and made just the one change to the starting XI that drew at Colwyn Bay last time out with Fatlum Ibrahimi coming in for the absent Jono Greening.

Both teams were out of action last week due to the wintery weather hampering many games across the country, but it was the visitors who carved out the first chance of the match, Ryan Salmon climbing brilliantly only to glance a header wide of the goal from seven yards out.

Albion responded well, however, with Rob Youhill storming beyond his man down the right flank and delivering low to Tom Corner, but the number nine saw his snap-shot well blocked.

Taddy’s only clear chance of the first period came two minutes before the break as Josh Greening stuck out a foot and deflected Corner’s skewed effort off target.

The Brewers came out fighting in the second half and took the game to Rammy by pushing and pressing higher up the pitch.

Ten minutes after the resumption, Youhill jinked past his man before fizzing a terrific ball across the face of goal, but no yellow shirt was on-hand to tap into an empty net.

Albion began to move slowly through the gears and it seemed only a matter of time before they took the lead with their fans encouraged.

Josh Greening and Corner both sent half-decent opportunities wide of the goal before the latter missed the best chance of the match.

Conor Sellars threaded Josh Greening in down the left and he reversed a pass backwards into the path of Corner who poked agonisingly wide from close range.

It was Ramsbottom who then notched what proved to be the only goal of the game, 11 minutes from time.

Gregg Anderson’s mistimed tackle on the effervescent Darrhyl Mason left referee Simon Porter with no option but to point to the penalty spot.

Lee Gaskel stepped up and struck the ball well to his left, Taddy gloveman Chandler Hallwood getting a hand to the effort, but unable to keep it out of the back of his net.

Ramsbottom had to endure an onslaught in the last 10 minutes with Taddy throwing everything at their opponents as they sought to get back on terms.

The final chance of the game fell to Dan Thirkell when a deep free-kick dropped to the midfielder at the back post, but Martin Fearon in the Rammy goal did well to narrow the angle and thwart the danger.

Defeat for Albion sees them drop one place to 16th in the league standings ahead of Saturday’s trip to Trafford.