Wimbledon Womble destroyed in uncommon Harrogate fire

editorial image

A toy from the children’s television programme The Wombles was the cause of a fire in a house on Grantley Drive in Harrogate on Sunday night.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a smell of burning in the loft of a maisonette property on Grantley Drive in Harrogate at 8.38pm.

Upon arrival, the crews from Harrogate and Knaresborough discovered a toy from the popular children’s books and television series on fire after it had been left too near to a downlighter in the loft.

The Orinoco Womble Toy, known for his love of sleep and food, was removed by the crews to open air and the fire was extinguished using a dry powder extinguisher.

Fire crews said that the blaze caused 100 per cent fire damage to the toy and approximately 5 per cent fire damage to the wiring.

There were smoke alarms fitted in the property but didnt actuate due to the siting of them in the property.