Storms wreak havoc'Picture show scars struggling through the water at Collingham West Yorkshire on the A58'Picture show scars struggling through the water at Collingham West Yorkshire on the A58

WETHERBY town centre was hit by gale force winds overnight on Wednesday which led to the closure of the bus station and the brief closure of the Riverside Wilderness car park.

Wetherby bus station was closed around 7am yesterday, Thursday, by police after reports of a number of rooftop tiles falling from the Riverside Wharfe apartments building onto the ground near the bus station on Wednesday night.

Wetherby PCSO Dan Sillers told the Wetherby News: “We have taken the step of closing the bus stop station and have cordoned off the road itself after a number of tiles had fallen from the roof during Wednesday night.

“This is to ensure public health and safety and it will remain closed until building surveyors can asses the damage.

“We have also informed the residents inside the building themselves and urged them to take precautionary measures such as ensuring all windows are closed.”

First bus company, which operates its 99 and X98 services from Leeds city centre to Wetherby Bus Station, informed passengers via Twitter their services would be running as normal but instead of pulling into the bus station on Market Place, services would be diverted to St James Street and North Street.

Concerns were raised for Wetherby’s busiest car park yesterday and it was closed briefly to motorists as water spilled over the banks and into the car park.

Police reopened the car park a short while later after reassurances from the Environment Agency that the water levels would not continue to rise.

PCSO Dan Sillers said yesterday: “We have been at the car park continually monitoring the site and after a brief period where motorists were not able to park at the Wilderness, it is now fully open.

“We will, however, continue to assess the situation and urge caution to motorists to take extra care when driving and parking in the car park.”

Meanwhile motorists in Collingham faced long traffic delays on the A58 and A659 Harewood junction and along Church Lane due to flash floods affecting the road conditions on Tuesday morning.

Collingham resident Sophie Wilde, 25, a self-employed beautician, said that the flooding had been “horrendous.”

She said: “I have never seen it quite so bad around here before.

“My car nearly got stuck on Wednesday morning because of it.

“Some of the bends were particularly bad and it has been quite scary really driving around here and near to Millbeck Green.”

A spokesman for Leeds City Council said police were at the scene on Tuesday where flood warnings were immediately put up alerting motorists.

The problems were then reported to Leeds City Council by the police.

Collingham Parish Clerk Glynn Robins told the Wetherby News: “This flooding is of great concern and distress to the residents and parish councillors in the village.

“We are currently in talks with Leeds City Council over the best way to approach the matter.

“There has been a problem with the drainage and blocked drains now in the Collingham area for a while and the process seems to be quite complex, with different agencies and bodies involved.”

The River Wharfe, which runs through Collingham, has had persistent problems with flooding in the past.

A spokesman for Leeds City Council said: “We were alerted by reports of flooding by Wetherby Police and have sent highways officers to the scene.

“The gullies on the road are now unblocked and have been cleared.

“We are well aware of flooding in Collingham and are in the long-term process of trying to replace and reroute a new drain system.” No timescale was in place, a spokesman said.