A TWO-year-old girl who was fighting a rare form of childhood cancer has died.
Sadie Rose Clifford, from Knaresborough, died on Monday after losing her battle with neuroblastoma.
Earlier this month doctors confirmed there was nothing more they could do to help Sadie. The youngster was diagnosed with the disease in 2010.
The toddler’s plight touched the hearts of thousands of people who helped to raise £500,000 to send her to America for life-saving treatment in February.
But last week the Wetherby News revealed how Sadie’s parents, Katie and Darren, who were organising Sadie’s third birthday party had brought the date forward from August 8 to July 1.
It had been due to be held this weekend at Sant Angelo’s Italian restaurant in Wetherby with a number of treats arranged for her including a video message from pop star Peter Andre.
A special Disney-themed birthday party had been organised for Sadie with around 200 close family and friends.
A birthday cake, horse and carriage and entertainers had been planned.
Catherine Del Buono, who owns the restaurant along with husband Franco Del Buono, said the news about Sadie this week had been devastating.
She said: “I am lost for words. The news about Sadie is very sad. I met her and she was a lovely little girl, when she came here she loved the icecream.
“It is just heartbreaking.”
Catherine says a condolence book will now be set up for people to pay their tributes and write down their thoughts to Sadie in the restaurant from this week.