A poodle was left needing 61 stitches and an emergency operation after being attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier on Jenny Field Drive.
Clive Dunnington, 83, was taking his five-year-old dogs Tia and Stella for a walk in the Saltergate play park when they were attacked.
The Staffie raced over to Stella then turned its attention towards Tia; viciously biting her neck and shaking her from side to side.
Clive, a vice president at Harrogate Town, eventually managed to shake off the dog but was bitten himself during the attack.
Tia was immediately rushed to Oak Beck Veterinary Hospital and, due to the severity of her injuries, required an emergency operation on her neck.
Clive revealed he has now been left with vet bills of £1,200 after the attack on Saturday, April 30, and has urged dog owners to keep their pets on a lead.
He said: "We were taking our two poodles for a walk in the park on Jenny Field Drive and it's normally very friendly there, all the dogs play with each other.
"It was about 6pm and I looked to make sure nobody was there before letting them off their lead. But as I did, I saw this dog coming across the grass like a bat out of hell.
"The Staffie hit Stella before jumping on Tia and ripping her neck to pieces. I started screaming at the owner saying 'it's killing my dog' so I tried to kick it off.
"There was blood pouring out of Tia and when we took her to the vet he said he'd never seen anything like it but, thankfully, they worked through the night to save her."
Police have revealed that the 51-year-old owner of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier came forward to assist with their enquiries following the attack.
Clive said that he decided to share his story with the Advertiser after reading about a Pit Bull Terrier attacking a one-year-old Boxer dog earlier this month.
Despite eventually needing two operations and losing two front teeth in the attack, Tia is now recovering well.
However, Clive warned that the attack could have proved fatal and said he was "relieved" his granddaughter wasn't with them at the time.
He said: "You would be shocked if you saw Tia now compared to how she was after it. She was definitely on her way out as we took her to the vet.
"The vets said they would do what they could to save her and they really did a marvellous job.
"But, they said that if the bite was another eighth of an inch deeper then it would have killed her."