Work has begun to transform land to the rear of what was Harrogate’s last bingo hall into a collection of new homes.
The Lucky Numbers bingo club on Skipton Road called “two fat ladies” for the last time in 2012, and now developers are creating four luxury duplex apartments and a townhouse on land adjoining the building.
The first phase of the development will be called Bartle Mews, in honour of the Bartle family who owned the bingo hall. The homes, built by Damot Ltd, will be ready to move into by spring 2017.
Phase two will see the club itself demolished and replaced by flats.
David Waddington, joint head of Land, New Homes and Development at agent Linley & Simpson, said: “The building is steeped in history and is a well-known landmark in the town. Now it can look forward to the next chapter in its life.
“We are delighted that its links with the Bartle family will live on through the name of the new development and they are regularly updated on its progress.”
The bingo hall originally opened in 1914 as a variety theatre called The Palace, but by the end of the First World War it was largely showing films.
The cinema was refurbished in 1947 and became The Ritz. It was the venue for the first showing in Harrogate of Rock Around the Clock, featuring Bill Haley and the Comets, when the audience danced in the aisles.
When it closed in 1962, the Lucky Numbers bingo hall opened shortly afterwards and remained at the heart of the community for 50 years.