Wetherby’s Community Bonfire will be returning to the town bigger and better than ever after last year’s was cancelled due to flooding.
The annual bonfire, which is attended by around 3000 people every year, will take place on Saturday November 2 at The Ings.
Last year the popular event to celebrate the burning of Guy Fawkes was cancelled after heavy rainfall and floods waterlogged the site.
After lobbying from Wetherby Town Council a new raised asphalt road and drainage system has been placed to prevent flooding.
Coun Cindy Bentley said: “We would urge the community to come out and support the event after last year’s cancellation and enjoy the bonfire celebrations.”
Mayor of Wetherby and councillor Alan Lamb, will be lighting the bonfire at 7pm, with a firework display starting at approximately 7.30pm.
Coun Lamb said: “Due to the wash out last year we couldn’t hold this event.
“I hope that the community come out to support the bonfire again this year and that the rain holds off in the months leading up to it.”
Funding of £1,000 has been given to support the bonfire by the North East Area Committee wellbeing fund. The money will be spent on security and first aid provision for the popular annual event.
This year’s entrance fee is £6 if bought in advance and £7 on the gate. The ticket will admit one adult and two under 16s.
Tickets are on sale at The Paper Shop, Market Place, The Library, Westgate and also at Dotties on Church Street. Entrance to the event is on Lodge Lane, Off Boston Road. There is no access from Scaur Bank as the bridge will be closed and manned by security.