Scarcroft village news

Sandra Thompson

0113 289 2650

pcthompson@uwclub.net

Scarcroft Ladies Luncheon Club: the September lunch was on September 3 and was prepared by Mary Fowler and her staff. Judith Oxer introduced the entertainment which was Alan and Pamela Radford from the Leeds Waits. Originating back in 1530, disbanded in 1835 but revived by Alan Radford in 1983, they quickly received official Leeds City Council recognition. There can be up to six persons who dress in the blue medieval costumes with the Leeds coat of arms badges. They play at civic receptions and processions in Leeds and are also hired for weddings and funerals, attending the Leeds Parish Church for the Lord Mayor, and the Temple Museum. Pamela Radford played the harp with Alan playing various wooden instruments. Mrs Margaret Midgley gave a vote of thanks. Next lunch will be on October 1.

Scarcroft Village Hall: following the prearranged full decoration, both inside and outside of the hall during August, the hall now has returned to use. The decorator Phillip Biddles and his assistants have made a first class job, call and see to believe. A private party, luncheon club and ballet class have used it this week already. The big annual village event is of course the Scarcroft Flower Show. It is ironic that inspite of much publicity, nobody has yet come forward to make up a management committee, so therefore with regret plans are in hand to wind down to probable eventual closure and disposal.