Harewood House is set to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with a special exhibition about Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, and the Queen.
The stately home saw the Princess Royal in residence for four decades and her love of Yorkshire lead to her being remembered as The Yorkshire Princess.
The exhibition, from March 31 to June 17, will run through the house and into the gardens she loved so much.
Princess Mary married Henry, 6th Earl of Harewood in 1922 and they moved into Harewood House in 1929.
They introduced many modern amenities and commissioned architect Sir Herbert Baker to design a suite of rooms for them and, as keen gardeners, introduced improvements to the grounds.
“They were also avid collectors and, with the generous help of the Heritage Lottery Fund, we will be displaying for the first time many of the things that were precious to her: personal items such as exquisite fans, gifts from heads of state, presents from her royal relations by the great designer Fabergé.
“She loved the countryside and Harewood was her family home, where she brought up her two sons before the war and where she continued to live for nearly 20 years after her husband’s death in 1947.
“She saw Harewood through times of tremendous change and died here, walking round the lake with her son and two of her grandsons, in 1965.”
Family photographs, portraits, period footage and precious personal items will allow visitors to see Harewood as the family home it has always been, especially for the Princess.
And Harewood will host a special collection of photographs lent by the Queen.