Fire warning to Valentines

editorial image

With the sparks expected to fly this Valentine’s Day, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is hoping they won’t be as a result of cooking or candles left unattended.

Fire chiefs have issued a timely warning for lovebirds to avoid distraction and keep an eye on the cooking.

ACO Craig McIntosh, Director of Fire Safety, said: “We don’t want to dampen your spirits, but make sure it’s not your home blazing this Valentine’s Day.

“All that we ask when you’re cooking that special meal is that you keep fire safety in mind.

“Why not go for a healthier option this Valentine’s Day and replace frying with oven baking.”

Remember, working smoke alarms save lives. Fit a smoke alarm on every level of your home and remember to test them every week.

Follow this simple fire safety advice:

Cooking

• Don’t leave children or pets alone in the kitchen when cooking

• Never leave cooking unattended. If you have to leave the kitchen, take the pans off the heat and

switch off the appliance

• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob

• Take extra care when cooking with hot oil

• Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking

• Alcohol and cooking don’t mix.

Candles

• Use proper candle holders and keep them away from materials which may catch fire

• Always put candles on a heat-resistant surface and never place them on a plastic surface, i.e. on

a bath or on top of the TV

• Fully extinguish candles before moving them or leaving the room and don’t let anything fall into

the hot wax, such as matchsticks

• Keep candles out of reach of children and pets

• Don’t place candles under shelves. Make sure they are at least three feet (one metre) between a

candle and any surface above it

• Use a candlesnuffer to put out candles and allow to cool before moving.