No charges for Diamond street parties

Have your say

Leeds City Council is waiving road closure charges on residential streets for diamond jubilee street parties this year.

But council officers are urging anyone planning a street party to apply for a road closure as early as possible.

Coun Richard Lewis, Leeds City Council’s executive member for economy and development, said: “The Diamond Jubilee is a once in a lifetime event and we want people to have a wonderful and memorable day.

“That’s why we are not charging for road closures on residential streets.

“But it is important that if people are thinking of holding a street party they contact us as soon as possible so we can help them to ensure they have everything they need in place well beforehand.”

For practical and safety reasons the council says that, where possible, people should hold their parties in a hall, park or garden.

But for those deciding to go ahead with a street party the council has published useful guidelines which are available from the council.

To request a residential street party road closure application form contact: Traffic Engineering, Highway Services, Selectapost 6, Ring Road, Middleton, Leeds LS10 4AX; telephone 0113 222 4444 or email

Or for an informal discussion call Howard Claxton, on 0113 395 0851.

Completed application forms must be returned at least 21 days before the event.

For an entertainment licence contact Leeds City Council’s Licensing Section on 0113 247 4095 or email

And for a drinks licence contact: Licensing Section, Leeds District Magistrates, PO Box 97, Westgate, Leeds LS1 3JP, phone 0113 245 9653.