Detectives on the hunt for callous thieves who tied-up an elderly couple in their home have released images of the jewellery stolen in the raid.
A gang of masked burglars targeted an elderly couple in central Harrogate, threatening them with violence and tying them up in their home making off with £200 and several items of valuable jewellery.
Police have now released images and descriptions of the stolen jewellery and watches to the public and specialist jewellers and pawn brokers in an attempt to track down the suspects.
Detective Constable Kirsten Aldridge of Harrogate CID, who has been working with the victims, said: “The jewellery and watches that were taken in the aggravated burglary are very distinctive. By releasing images of their likeness and detailed descriptions, we hope to trigger a positive response within the jewellers and pawn broking trade, as well as from members of the public who may have been offered the items for sale.
“We are doing everything we can to track down the suspects and are continuing to support the couple who have been badly shaken by the ordeal.
“Someone out there knows who was responsible for this despicable and callous crime. Please do the right thing and contact the police or Crimestoppers without further delay. Crimestoppers is offering a £1,000 reward for information that leads to arrests and charges.”
Three men, two of whom were wearing masks, tied up the elderly couple, who are in their 70s and 80s at their house on South Park Road in Harrogate between 6.15pm and 7pm on Tuesday January 20.
The couple managed to untie themselves once the robber’s left, and called their daughter for help. They suffered minor injuries to their hands and wrists and have been left very shaken by the incident.
The items of jewellery stolen include:
- Large platinum diamond-set art deco ring. This comprises of two square diamonds set in the centre which are about 1.20 carats each, described as “D” colour with “VVS” clarity. Clustered around the central stones are baguette cut diamonds (an illustration is attached)
- 27 stone diamond ring cluster dome ring from the 1950s. It comprising of a large central round brilliant cut diamond - about 5mm in diameter - surrounded by three rows of diamonds, smaller diamonds on outer circle which get larger towards the centre. The stones are claw set in 18 carat white gold that raises up into a dome shape (an image of its likeness is attached)
- Diamond classic line bracelet set with uniform round brilliant cut diamonds, claw set, with a tongue and box fastening. The diamonds are about 2-3mm in diameter
- Oblong-shaped Emerald-cut cubic zirconia ring which is set horizontally across the finger in platinum
- Lady’s white metal bracelet watch (an image of its likeness is attached)
- Gent’s Gucci bracelet watch with steel bracelet, pink metal bezel and black dial.
Crimestoppers have offered a £1,000 reward for information leading to arrests and charges. Gemma Wilson, Crimestoppers regional manager, said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the elderly couple to go through and those who committed this crime must be brought to justice.”
If you can help, please contact North Yorkshire Police on 101 – select option 2 – and ask for Harrogate CID.
If you prefer not to give your name, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111. Or fill in an anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Please quote reference number 12150011129 when passing information about this incident.