Sainsbury’s application refused

A CONTROVERSIAL plan to build a Sainsbury’s superstore at the entrance to Wetherby has been refused by Leeds City Council’s planning committee.

The supermarket giant ended months of speculation when it put forward their plans to build a 25,000 ft sq store at the former Ramada Jarvis Hotel site, now the Mercure Hotel, earlier this year.

The decision to refuse the application was taken yesterday, Thursday July 12, by Leeds City Council’s Plans Panel East.

A council report sent to the plans panel show a number of organisations had objected to the plans for the store, including Wetherby Civic Society, Wetherby Business Association and Wetherby Town Council.

More than 200 objections individual letters of objection had been sent to Leeds City Council, while a further 63 supported the proposals.

Wetherby Post Office owner and businessman Nish Kanabar, who had objected to the plans, told the News he was “overwhelmed” by the decision.

He said: “I am overwhelmed. I think this is the right decision for the town and I am thrilled with the decision. This is a small victory for the people of Wetherby.

“This is only the first step as Sainsbury’s might appeal, but the community spirit in Wetherby is unbelievable.”

The proposed store would have included a customer cafe on the ground floor, 240 parking spaces and pedestrian access to the site via Micklethwaite Grove, connecting the store to the town centre.

For the full story, read next week’s Wetherby News.